Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Can we use the same lawyer with an amicable divorce ?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

If my husband and I want to pursue an amicable divorce and we have already agreed to the terms, can we simply use the same lawyer and get it completed as fast as possible?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

In these situations, it may be possible to file a Joint Application for Divorce. The Joint Application includes claims to address all issues, including, custody, access, support and property. It is entirely up to the lawyer to determine whether the case is appropriate for a joint retainer and whether the parties interests will be protected in these arrangements. However, if there is real property and sale proceeds to be disbursed, or it is a situation which is best to bring some closure as soon as possible, or for other reasons, it may not be possible to wait the one year following the separation to obtain the divorce order. Two clients may jointly retain a lawyer if it is an appropriate case to do so, and that means the lawyer must ensure the interests of both parties would be protected. The process itself must be apparent that neither party's interests will be compromised. In situations of joint retainers, disclosure of income and other financial information is still required, otherwise the lawyer is not able to advise the clients as to the outcome.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x