Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline


Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My wife and i seperated several years ago and I signd a seperation agreement with her lawyer without seeking my own legal council. Is it binding or can I change my mind about the things i agreed to, such as giving her our marital home that was completely paid for?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

Generally, until the agreement is set aside it is a binding legal document enforceable through legal measures. Your title, ownership and rights to the house have already been transferred pursuant to the separation agreement and transfer of title and other real estate documents. In family law, domestic contracts may be set aside on grounds of failing to understand the nature and consequences of the agreement, or failing to disclose significant assets and debts, or otherwise in accordance with common law, i.e., duress, coercion, absence of independent legal advice, etc. However, the transfer of title pursuant to the separation agreement is not going to be set aside simply because the separation agreement is set aside. The signing of the separation agreement and transferring of title to the matrimonial home are two separate transactions. You should speak with a lawyer to discuss this situation, and possibly the best outcome may be to tie in the consequences of having transferred the home in consideration of support issues, and therefore receive credit against any support obligations, but that would mean not seeking to set aside the agreement.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x