Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

When to contact a lawyer

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My husband has stated he is thinking he wants to separate. When appointments were made to discuss matters with bank and lawyer he backed off stating he is not ready for that yet. At what point should I contact a lawyer to discuss my options and rights? Is it too soon if there is a chance of working through the issues or would it be worthwhile to prepare myself now with a lawyer in the event that a separation occurs in the next few months?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

Going to see a family law lawyer for a consultation would be very beneficial at likely a nominal cost with benefits for future situations. There are many reasons why you would want to consult with a family law lawyer. There may be custody and access issues you need to discuss or plan for. Or, there may be certain intricate issues relating to support and property matters. For example, you may have certain property that is not subject to matrimonial property division. You would also need to know how to divide your respective property. Because you are spouses there are certain tax free rollovers and other steps to implement a settlement and if necessary the family law lawyer could make the appropriate referral to any other professionals. During the consultation you could also confirm the options for dispute resolution processes, which may include, negotiation through lawyers, mediation, mediation/arbitration, or litigation - court. You definitely want to avoid looking back and saying you wish you had known something before you made certain arrangements.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x