Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

What happens now?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Recently, after 13 years of marriage, my best friend and wife has been unable to resist the growing temptation to rid herself of what she calls a 'micro-managed existence' and now wants to separate so she can be free to be who she really is. This means embracing a growing awareness and recognition of her suppressed sexuality. She is committed to being a lesbian after years of not being able to find the strength to admit this to herself. We have three children aged 4, 5 and 10. We'd like to separate amicably but I am hurt and resentful. We are in sexless marriage but we (supposedly) had a very active sex-life before all this came to a grinding halt recently. I cannot give her emotionally or physically what she needs and a divorce is all but likely at some point. She doesn't work and yet expects to have the kids move in with her (or for me to move out) ... I'm confused, upset and angry. What is the best course of action? We are both mindful of the kids and want to stay on the best of terms for their sake, but I'm finding it hard to continue to provide for everything and everyone on a limited income while she explores her future options and still has no job to support herself, though she is training to change careers. Help?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
8 years ago

It sounds like you need to attend with a lawyer to obtain information about what occurs on separation. The issues you will be dealing with involve: custody/access of your children, child/spousal support and the division of your assets.

In order to be "separate and a part" , no agreement is required by the parties. All that is required is that one party communicate to the other that the marriage is over. It sounds like you were blindsided by this decision.

What you need to do is determine how your assets will be divided (your home if you own one), and where your children will be living.

A lawyer can assist in explaining what your options are.


Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x