Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Sibbling Rights

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:


I have a 8 year old sister and my mother doesn't let me see her. I haven't seen her in 5 months. I am 26 years old. As sibblings do we have any rights to visit our younger sibibblings? we are 7 kids that want to see her and our mother has banned us from doing so.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

Access is the right of the child, and in this case the 8 year old child. A parent of the child or any person may apply to a court for an order respecting custody of or access to the child. A parent may have discretion to determine if the child should have access to third parties, eg, grandparents, siblings, etc. However, that discretion is subject to a court determining the child's best interests. There must be a pre-established relationship between the child and the other person and the court order is more often re-establishing that relationship between the child and the other persons. Status quo is an important factor and the longer that the situation continues the more entrenched the no access will become. It is not healthy for a child to have a relationship interrupted and so this is something to address as soon as possible. The first step is to consult with a family law lawyer. Depending on your financial circumstances, you may apply to Legal Aid Ontario for a certificate to retain a lawyer.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x