Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Shared expenses?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I have 2 children with my ex-wife. We have joint custody but my youngest is now living full time with me (he didn't want to live with his Mom anymore). My oldest daughter was living with my ex until my ex met someone and quit her job to move to same town as her new partner. She found work there and is working full time. (she won't tell us what her new salary is)
My oldest daughter has chosen not to move with her mother but stay with friends until she graduates from grade 12 (will graduate June 2015). They are charging us $300/mth for room and board.
As my ex no longer has my daughter living with her full time but I still have my son living me full time, does she not have to share the expenses to the family who was kind enough to take my daughter in with them (her share would be $150/mth) Up to now I have paid my child support directly to my daughter so she can pay the host family. My daughter hardly visits with my ex except for holidays because she has a part time job.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

In Ontario, there is provision in the Family Law Act which provides that the obligation to pay child support does not extend to a child who is 16 years of age or older and has withdrawn from parental charge. You would need to discuss the factual circumstances and legal implications with a lawyer of your choosing to determine whether or not your payments are legally required or entirely voluntary. The issue is whether the daughter made a free choice on her own free will or whether she was effectively driven away from the mother's home due to emotional, psychological or physical reasons for example due to the move and wanting to remain with friends to finish her high school. The second issue is how to calculate the amount of child support, and whether it should be based on the actual expenses and financial needs or the Table amount for one child or having regard to both of these sources of information, and once the amount of child support the oldest is entitled to has been determined then that amount needs to be allocated between you and your ex. It is best to consult with a family law lawyer to further discuss these issues.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x