Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

my spouse has set me up for a divorce

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Now I know my spouse has set me up for a divorce for a long time. About 6 months before I was forced to move out. She set me up to go to the lawyer office to sign a document. She and the lawyer told me that is a new property that their family acquired and want me to declare I have no right with it. As I trusted her that time, I signed and I have never got a copy. 6 months after signing, I was forced to leave home and I knew I could not save my marriage. Then she asked me to sign divorce agreement and gave up all my right. Given what happened, is it possible that she could win for the situation?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

I would strongly advise you to discuss your situation with a lawyer as I am unclear as to what documents have been signed and what your current situation is. In situations where the validity of a domestic contract is challenged, pursuant to s. 56 of the Family Law Act (FLA), courts have the ability to set aside a domestic contract where there has been a lack of financial disclosure provided by one of the parties, or where a party did not understand the nature or consequences of the domestic contract they were signing. There can be various considerations and factors at play in this type of situation so I strongly urge you to speak with a lawyer to determine whether s. 56 of the FLA or something else would apply to your specific circumstances.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x