Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

My husband is a drug addict.

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My husband is a drug addict. he tried to get help but relapses often, it is also due to the nature of his job and people that he surrounds himself with.
I want to separate because he is not here (mentally or physically) but he does not agree, I am financially dependable on him but He has put us into financial disaster and wants to destroy everything so I will "suffer". I can't get a job because of the situation I have. How can I proceed? We also have 11 year old daughter and I am the primary caregiver. He knows lawyers that would help him because of his status, yet I can't afford one to match his.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

You do not need his agreement to separate. You can unilaterally make that decision. I recommend that you retain a lawyer who will write to him and advise that you are now separated. An attempt can then be made to negotiate a separation agreement. If he is unreasonable then Court may be commenced. Once he is served with an Application he will have 30 days in which to respond. If he does not act reasonably then after a few Court steps a Motion can be sought for Temporary Orders, including with respect to your daughter living with you, child support, spousal support, etc. If it is clear that there is a financial settlement for you, based on the equalization of Net Family Property, then some lawyers will agree to be paid once you receive your property settlement. Thus, you do have options to retain competent legal counsel to assist you with your difficult situation. If you wish to discuss matters with me I am prepared to provide you with a free consultation. You are welcome to call me at 866-557-3222.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x