Embaucher un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

"Material Change" and Duration of Spousal Support

Anonymous Asked:

I will say in advance, that I do have a lawyer in Alberta but I don't feel he is representing my interests but I have no way of knowing, further, I can't afford to keep paying him to tell me about all her rights and not explaining to me about mine. I also can't afford to fire him, and pay another retainer fee to someone else so I am reaching out in forums to find some answers or guidance. I am in the process of completing a separation agreement with my wife to finalize our divorce. I was in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) for 12 years but I'm not anymore. We have already agreed on division of finances, division of property, she has half my pension and the cost of spousal support. What we cannot agree on is what her and her lawyer are trying to force in to writing as what material change can and cannot be as well as the duration of spousal support. My concern is that her and her lawyer want it stated explicitly that since I quit the CAF that it can't be considered material change for the purposes or reduction or cancellation of arrears. My lawyer tells me that its the law anyways so I should just agree to it. However, If I agree to that language in the separation agreement, that to me says that no matter what happens to me in the future, new job, better job, worse job, legs cut off, etc... I will still have to pay, because I agreed that I left the CAF and that I can no longer as for a reduction or cancellation. Is this true? Or am I reading to much into it? The way I read the law is that my spousal support is based on my income, and I would rather the court decide that than her lawyer forcing me into a corner. Any advice? Also with the length of payment, my wife is 47 years old, she did have an accident years ago in a factory but she was pensioned off by WSIB and then fully retrained at an educational facility and program of her choice, and then has proven she can succeed and be gainfully employed in that field, further, she ha been trained in in medical office Admin and banking, both of which she has held successful employment in. Now she claims she can only find part time work in a bank , Mon, Tues, and Thursdays only. She has plenty of training and experience and time left in her career to support and better herself, why should I have to continue paying her for ever? Any advice?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

You are wise to be hesitant to sign the impugned “material change” agreement. It may be a good idea to provide some legal authority to the opposing party that supports the argument that requiring you to sign this clause is not lawful. Based on what you described regarding your financial circumstances, it may be impossible for you to hire one of our lawyers to research and analyze this issue, but if you can fund this research, your position would likely be strengthened. With regard to your second question, we could potentially argue that your ex should be self sufficient in the near future or by now and that her efforts to do so are/were inadequate and that she should be imputed such that your requirements regarding spousal support should be reduced.

Please call me anytime to further discuss

1-877-668-9386 ext 4


Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

What can you buy while you filling for a divorce

What can you invest on or buy while you are going through divorce

DC Icon

Preparing for Court: What to Expect in a Contested Divorce Trial in Ontario

Divorce is a life-altering event that can be emotionally draining and legally complex. When a divorce becomes contested, both spouses cannot agree on some or all of the key issues. This can lead to more significant challenges, as the court has to step ...

DC Icon

Do Divorce Lawyers Work on Weekends? Get Expert Advice When You Need It

If you've been wondering, "Do divorce lawyers work on weekends?" you most likely are experiencing the common truth that navigating the complexities of divorce can be challenging, and finding the right time to discuss your concerns with a divorce lawyer ...

DC Icon

How to Not Pay Spousal Support in Canada

Introduction Divorce can be a challenging and emotionally draining process, and one of the most contentious issues is often the payment of spousal support. Many individuals going through a divorce wonder, "how to not pay spousal support in Canada?" Whi ...

DC Icon

Divorce Lawyer for Business Owners: Protecting Your Business and Assets

Divorce is a difficult and emotional process for anyone, but it can be particularly challenging for business owners. The division of assets and determination of spousal support can have a significant impact on the future of a business. That's why it's ...

DC Icon

Divorce Lawyer For High Net-Worth Individuals

High Net Worth Divorces: Navigating the Complexities and Protecting Your Assets Divorce is never an easy process, but when it comes to a high net worth separation and divorce, the stakes are even higher. Unlike the average divorce, high net worth divor ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x