Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

He was lying on financial statements before our divorce

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I have recently found out that my ex is being investigated by CRA for failure to claim income during the time we were going through our divorce. In looking back on the financial records filed, it appeared that the notices of assessment included base salary and not sales. Our divorce was finalized several years ago and I took the majority of the debt due to the difference in our salaries (no support, alimony or child) - however, if the sales were considered our income would have been similar. Do I have any recourse?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

I am not able to provide direct legal advice in this forum. The issues are circumstances to set aside a divorce order or pursue a claim for reimbursement on repayment of debts. A Divorce Order may either be changed by way of motion to change or appeal, but in these circumstances presumably the time to appeal is long passed. There are also likely no circumstances supporting a motion to change. If one were to enter into a court order on agreement that requires something to be done, and until that order is changed or amended, then one must do what they agreed to. As for reimbursement on the debts, presumably the debts were joint and several. You could always obtain independent legal advice, however it does not appear that there is any recourse.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x