Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

I want to get separated but don't want to lose the house

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

im with my common in law almost 21 years i dont have income. I've always depended on him. we have two kids one with him. i want to get separated but don't want to lose the house we live in what are my rights, what are the steps i need? he has money and I know he will get a good lawyer to make sure I don't get any thing

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

For the purpose of this answer I will assume that custody, access and child support are not issues.

Thus, there are two main issues that need to be addressed.

In terms of spousal support, you are entitled to make a claim for spousal support. The fact that you are not legally married is not relevant. The quantum of spousal support will depend on a number of different factors, including the amount of his income. I would need to speak with you prior to commenting further on both the quantum and duration of spousal support.

In terms of property division, as you are not legally married you are not entitled to claim an equalization of net family property pursuant to the Family Law Act. However, you are entitled to make common law property claims. Given that you have lived together for 21 years your protection would be similar to legally married persons, although not identical. Once again, I would need to speak with you before providing exact details.

You are welcome to telephone me at 866-557-3222 for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x