Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

How can I enforce child support payments?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My ex and I have a son who is almost 2. We have been separated for over a year. Right now he sees his son 1 day per weekend. He has not asked for anymore access than that. He inconsistently gives me money here and there for "child support" We do not have a custody agreement. I would like to obtain one as well as have some sort of document to allow the enforcement of child support. How can I do this? I do believe the two of us can agree on both topics however, actually getting it done is another story. What is the best way to go about this without spending or wasting too much money. All I want is an agreement outlining our custody (which can be joint) and a consistent and fair amount of child support.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

There will be different phases to the process of arriving at a signed and complete separation agreement. You will first want to determine what is important to you in a lawyer you end up retaining, and ensure that you interview your lawyer and there is a good fit. Part of retaining the lawyer is to discuss and agree upon a course of action to take in order to complete the agreement and get it signed. It would help a great deal to obtain the other party's income information and tax returns etc and establish a list of items that you and the other party agree on, in respect of the custody and access and child support issues. You then turn the income information and list of agreed upon items over to your lawyer and have the lawyer advise and direct you on the informal proposal that had been discussed. The lawyer will hopefully then be able to proceed to prepare a draft agreement and then you file the agreement with the court, if necessary, to enforce the support provisions through the Family Responsibility Office. Your lawyer should be able to explain all other questions or issues you have raised.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x