Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Dual citizen living in the US needing spousal support

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My husband is Canadian and I am a dual citizen of the US and Canada. I need to obtain a divorce but need to seek spousal support and divide the matrimonial home. I am working in the state of Tennessee and have been living here since Feb, 2011. I have tried to support myself financially and now find it necessary to seek spousal support from my husband at least until I can get on my feet. We have been married since 1999/12/18 and he earns considerably more than I do (about $150,000 more per year) We purchased a condo in the Beaches during our marriage and he still resides there. I don't wish to take advantage of him. I helped raise his two children and I did not have a career during the time we were together. I am 52 years old and starting over. I hired an attorney in Ontario, spent $5,000 and have not made any progress towards the divorce and am not able now to pay for an attorney. I cannot travel back and forth to Canada to negotiate a divorce, support and division of the matrimonial home. What are my options?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

You must have an intention to reside in Ontario, and to apply for divorce your claim is based on living separate and apart for one year, and as such you need to have lived in Ontario for one year. The substantial connection of the case seems to be in Tennessee, and regardless of where you were married most jurisdictions legally recognize foreign marriages on the basis of certain requirements. You should speak with your lawyer about expectations and strategy and hopefully devise a plan to address the issues. I gather that the Beaches is not in Canada. Beyond the jurisdiction, other issues to consider is whether or not a freezing of assets order is necessary, and what the plan is in relation to support enforcement if he does not voluntarily pay you support.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x