Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Does a divorce in the US end a Canadian marriage ?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Does a divorce in the United States end a marriage that took place in Canada?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M.
6 years ago

Answer: I assume that you wish to get re-married in Canada. If a divorce is granted in the USA, it will of course then be recognized, at a minimum, in the American State that granted the divorce. This does NOT mean that the divorce will also then be recognized in one of the Canadian provinces, if you seek to get re-married in Canada. It depends on the facts of the case, which is why lawyers must provide a letter of opinion to support an application to obtain a marriage license, where a person has obtained a “foreign” divorce and wishes to re-marry in Canada. Generally, if the person who obtained the “foreign” divorce had a permanent tie with the State that granted the divorce for one year or more prior to seeking the divorce in that State (or the person that they divorced did) then the divorce will likely be recognized in Canada. As you can tell, this is a complicated area of the law. I can provide you with a 100% answer if I am able to speak with you and examine the “foreign” divorce, but until then I can only provide the above general comments. Feel free to call me for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x