Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Child support-would I pay the table amount for three children?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I am currently in the final stages of divorcing my ex-wife with whom I have two children. Since our separation, I lived common-law with another woman and we had a son together. My girlfriend and I are now splitting up. For child support, would I pay the table amount for three children, or do I pay my ex-wife the table amount for two children, and my ex-girlfriend the table amount for one child separately?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

The Child Support Guidelines are mandatory; however there are variations based on the unique facts of each case. Generally speaking the answer to your question would be that you would pay your wife child support under the Child Support Guidelines for two children, and then pay your common-law partner child support under the Child Support Guidelines for one child. However, there are facts that could change this result. They include the percentage of time that the children are with you, and a potential claim that you may have for undue hardship. As an example, the child support could go down if you are with any of the children 40% or more of the time, and as a further example if you are struggling financially it is possible to make an undue hardship claim which would allow you to pay less child support than the table amount of the Child Support Guidelines. It is impossible to provide any additional comments with respect to what might apply to you without first being able to ask you some questions. You are welcome to telephone me at 866-557-3222 for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x