Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Can I file for divorce without a separation agreement?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My spouse and I have been living in separate residences for 4 years, prior to this I was living apart for a long time period in the basement in our joint home. We finally got the house sold and split the proceeds. prior to the sale of the house I was paying all expenses. Now I pay cable and car insurance and she has a job. My income has substantially decreased due to employment situation, but I have a large sum in rsps she has none. I have tried to write up a separation agreement and have asked her what she wants several times and theses requests have either been ignored or she has indicated the timing was poor and she was too busy.
I am in another relationship and we have bought a home together, and my new partner suffice it to say wants me to have my prior marriage finished with which I totally get.
I guess my question is this , I am more than willing to split my rsps and make a fair agreement with my x but she refuses to sign anything. Is she hurting herself by doing this as she has proven she doesn't need my support by refusing to sign an agreement. How can this be resolved and can I file for divorce without a separation agreement being completed?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
5 years ago

Obviously the ideal solution would be for her to engage in negotiations to finalize a separation agreement. Assuming she will not do that, you could simply file for divorce only and see what she does. If she does nothing and the divorce order is obtained then her time limit to bring claims to divide assets (such as RRSPs) is 2 years from the date of the divorce. Alternatively you could apply for the divorce in addition to seeking orders to divide your RRSP by way of a spousal rollover indicating the precise dollar amount you are seeking to transfer to her RRSP from your RRSP.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x