Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

What is considered spousal abandonment?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My spouse went out-of-province for work 6 months ago. We decided after a few failed job attempts, for myself and our two children, ages 16 and 14, to stay here. Since then. he has gone through 2 more jobs. He isn't speaking to me, and he told our oldest child that he isn't coming back and if we don't move out with him, then our son has to decide whether he wants to stay with me, or move out with his father. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 2 1/2 years ago and can't work anymore. I have been denied Disability as well. My husband controls all the finances, and he only gives me a certain amount every two weeks. Do I have any options available to me? I can't afford a Lawyer and have no other means of support but him. Thank you.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

It would be a good idea to attend for a consultation with a family law lawyer to find out what tools or resources are available to you in order to negotiate his biweekly payments. There are issues of child support and spousal support, and I have no idea of his income and your income. Of course, if he is reasonable and enters into a separation agreement with you he could deduct the portion of payments relating to spousal support. It would be sensible to negotiate the amount of money that you are getting every two weeks. Perhaps you could have him pay for the additional expenses and costs concerning the children so that you are not stuck with the bills and expenses. It would seem that although this is a high conflict matter, it is best to be able to find a third party or a mediator to attempt to communicate about the issues.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x