Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

What grounds can my ex use to appeal our agreement?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My ex and I have came up with a settlement in court. A divorce order was issued by a judge. Given that I am the one that is paying for his debts can he appeal this order in any way? I understand that it takes 31 days for the divorce to go through, What if any grounds can by ex appeal our agreement? Also up to what date does he have to appeal. It's been 2 LONG+ years I just have a bad feeling that this isn't over. We have no kids and property division has been divided.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

I am not able to comment on the terms of the agreement, because I do not know what those terms are and doing so would be outside the scope of this blog. Also, I am not aware of what statutes, ie, Divorce Act, Family Law Act, Children's Law Reform Act, etc., are applicable and therefore whether there are any additional restrictions on any potential appeals. For example, Section 21 of the Divorce Act sets out provisions relating to appeals. In addition to any of those issues, you would also need to determine what court to appeal to and what type of order was made either the Divisional Court or the Court of Appeal, assuming that the original court is the Superior Court of Justice - regular or family branch. There are differences between final orders and interim orders. In some cases the party wishing to appeal needs "leave to appeal". This means a motion to the court seeking permission and explaining why the court should hear the appeal. There are certain requirements in relation to seeking leave. To start an appeal some information, such as, transcripts, will need to be obtained. Finally, there is an appeal based on fresh evidence and certain requirements concerning a motion pertaining to circumstances in which new evidence that did not exist at the time of trial may come to light. Unfortunately, it is simply not possible to provide a direct outline of the issues in these particular circumstances.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x