Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Can he use my prior alcohol abuse against me?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

if my spouse works and I dont and he is planing a divorce can he use my prior alcohol abuse or say I still have a problem, or anything against me so that I dont get alimony, or assets. He has also opened his own account where all the money goes. and I have to ask him for cash. our account was joint previously. I never worked.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
5 years ago

I cannot answer whether you will get alimony. The issues raised in relation to the alcohol is whether there is a correlation between alcohol and ability to work. Typically, conduct is not relevant to the determination of support obligations. However, if someone were to lose their job as a result of alcohol then perhaps the circumstances relating to the drinking problem would be relevant, or in the event that unemployment results from the alcohol use. The alcohol use is not related to the property division issues. You can discuss with a family law lawyer the best way to ensure that you are paid monies to which you are entitled to, and how to address the responsibility for your living expenses. Justice Olah in the Harris case 2005 set out full details of the issues between misconduct and alcoholism.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x