Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Will he need to petition for divorce in Canada?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Dutch citizen wants to divorce his Canadian wife, they have been estranged and living apart 6 years. Can he get divorced in Holland or will he need to petition for divorce in Canada? What are the steps to obtain divorce and hopefully avoid spousal support.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
5 years ago

In order to apply for divorce in any Province of Canada, you or your spouse must have resided in the Province in which you file your claim for at least the one year preceding the commencement of the action. If neither of you meet the one year residency requirement then you should commence the Divorce in Holland not in Canada. In either case the steps involved would be to file and serve a Divorce proceeding and to follow the Rules of Court in the Province or County or Country in which you choose to proceed. It is my understanding that spousal support amounts are lower in Holland than they are in Canada. Here the spousal support will be calculated within a range from 1.5% to 2% times the annual difference in total income received by each party times the number of years of cohabitation up to a maximum of 50% of the annual income differential.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x