Embaucher un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Separation due to Alchoholism

Anonymous Asked:

I am considering separation as my husbands drinking has become intolerable. I am the major breadwinner in the family by a long shot - would I be required to pay spousal support, knowing that any money I gave him would go to drink?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

As you are legally married, the answer in terms of whether you owe spousal support depends upon the factors noted in the Divorce Act, as applied through the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines and the applicable case law.

In order to provide the above analysis I would need to know from you various details, including whether there are children, where they would live, your income, his income, your respective ages, the length of your cohabitation, and any medical issues, including whether he is a diagnosed alcoholic.

I will comment that there is not a legal argument to pay less support to an individual because they will use that money in a manner not acceptable to the support payer. If a person has an entitlement to receive spousal support then they are free to spend the spousal support that they receive as they may wish.

Whether you owe spousal support depends upon some of the factors noted above. Please also note that it is possible to impute income to a person that is intentionally unemployed or underemployed, and this is a potential defense in relation to your husband.

Of course, I cannot make any comments that are specific to your case without first speaking with you and obtaining the appropriate facts. You are welcome to telephone me at 905-451-3222 for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x