Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Separated 13 years and I want to remarry asap

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I would like to remarry and after 13 years of separation need a divorce. My ex-husband has no problem with an uncontested one. Do I need a divorce after so much time? There was a separation agreement and only child is 22 years old now. Is there a waiting period to remarry?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long
7 years ago

You must obtain a formal Divorce Order and obtain a Divorce Certificate to marry again even you have been separated for many years. Since you have been separated for 13 years, you are well beyond the 1 year mandatory wait period for obtaining a divorce order. If all matters are resolved then you should simply file an Application for Simple Divorce and get this process going as it can take several months for the court to process and make the order; issue the divorce certificate etc. Under no circumstances can you remarry without being formally divorced first from a prior spouse.

You should seek the advice of a family law lawyer immediately who can assist you in obtaining the Divorce.

Jennifer Long

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x