Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

What affects one year period of separation ?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

if a spouse visits inconsistently and irregularly without notice and stays at the home of the mother and child, for a long period of time like 4 weeks, does this affect the one year period and ownership of the house that was purchased after the initial separation?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Andrew Heft
6 years ago

The one year separation period during which the spouses have lived separate
and apart that can be alleged as a cause for divorce is not interrupted if
the periods were the spouses have resumed cohabitation for the primary
purpose of reconciliation do not total more than ninety (90) days. It is
then important to determine the intention behind your spouse’s visits and
habitation in the family residence. If the intention is not reconciliation,
then it does not affect the one year separation period.

Concerning your question pertaining to ownership of the house, in a divorce
context, actual ownership of the family residence is not affected by usage
of the house.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x