Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Legal rights & child support

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I'm a married woman, my husband and I are not ok. I don't feel anything for him anymore and then I fell in love with another man. I am now carrying his child but the problem was he is not ready for a child and then we broke up. But he promised to give financial support for our baby. I feel lost and don't know what to do. I want to know what is my legal rights and can my child get a support from his father. How would I make sure that my baby will get a support.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

There are several issues here:

1. Are you still living with your husband in a marriage relationship? If so, who will be the "father" of the baby? Has your husband decided to accept the child? If so, then you may be precluded from seeking support from the biological "father".

2. If you are separated from your husband and not in a relationship with the biological father of the new baby, then you need to seek financial support from the biological father.

I suggest that you contact a lawyer to properly determine what your legal rights are.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x