Embaucher un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Simple Divorce

Anonymous Asked:

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? I live in Ontario and we were married 31.5 years.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Adam Rice B.A., J.D, Barrister & Solicitor
1 year ago

It sounds like your husband has filed, and you’ve been served with, an Application for Divorce (Form 8A). If he has filed for a simple divorce then no you aren’t required to ‘do’ or pay anything. If the divorce is ultimately approved by the court you will receive a copy of the Divorce Order in the mail. However, it’s always a good idea to get legal advice before making any major life decisions. 
You mention your support and property issues were already settled. These are often done at the same time and as part of divorce proceedings. This makes me wonder what you mean by ‘settled’.

NOTE: This answer assumes it is an Uncontested Divorce being sought by both parties.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

"Material Change" and Duration of Spousal Support

I will say in advance, that I do have a lawyer in Alberta but I don't feel he is representing my interests but I have no way of knowing, further, I can't afford to keep paying him to tell me about all her rights and not explaining to me about mine. I a ...

DC Icon

How about the bank accounts and cash money of each spouse at separation or divorce time

Does the cash money or any accounts sums divide between spouses at the time of separation or divoce?

DC Icon

Requesting Cell Phone Records During A Divorce & Adultery Accusations

My son in law and daughter recently separated and he is now accusing her of cheating and is threatening to have her cell phone records brought into play. She has already given him everything (house, items etc) and is leaving with nothing. Can he do thi ...

DC Icon

Can my ex win full custody on the with no grounds of merit

My ex partner and I have joint custody of our daughter and have so for the past 7 years. My ex served me papers wanting full custody and for my child support payment to quadruple effective in 4 weeks time. I love my daughter dearly and see her 50% of t ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x