Contactez un avocatNEW Support Group
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Dividing property

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

Anonymous Asked:

I have been in a common law relationship for over three years and we have a child together. We also bought a townhouse together where I paid a substantial amount towards the downpayment of the home and he paid nothing. This was with the understanding that he would be be the financial provider so that I would be able to stay at home and take care of our child. In the begining I was getting a small amount from EI and was able to contribute by paying my own expenses etc... After that had expired he continued paying the mortgage for the home and utilities but has refused to pay any of my bills. I have been managing with help from my family. I have since started my business at home which is very slow starting up and as such does not provide a lot of income. I would like a separation as I feel very cheated by this individual. I not only paid the whole amount for the downpayment but also paid a large sum towards his credit card which had a high balance with the understanding that he would be able to better support us. He has a drinking problem and I have had to call the cops out to our home a number of times. I have stayed in this relationship for my daughters sake as everytime I bring up separation he threatens he will fight for full custody. While I know that won't happen I am afraid for him even to have shared custody for a number of reasons. I would like to know how much of an argument I will have to get back my money that I paid towards the purchase of the home. I have kept receipts and the money was a gift from my mother. He had assured me that the downpayment on the home and the money I paid on his credit card would all be reimbursed to me on the sale of the home.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

There are several issues you have raised in this post. You should consult with legal counsel immediately regarding how best to proceed.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x