Contactez un avocatNEW Support Group
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Am I forced to pay the debts after separation ?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

Anonymous Asked:

I separated with my ex and we signed an agreement that states that neither would incurr debts in the others name. He failed to take my name off his bills and now creditors are calling me to pay the debts. What are my options? Am I forced to pay the debts or is there some legal action I can take?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Answer: We can absolutely help you – however as you indicate that you signed an agreement I need to read it. As a general comment, after the date of separation parties are responsible for their own debts.

I do need to know if the incurred debts are with third parties that you also have a contract with, such as a joint VISA card. If so, we need to end those contracts immediately, to avoid future problems.

We will have to analyze each debt individually. You will be in the situation where: 1. You must contribute to the debt and then pursue your husband for repayment or 2. You can deny the debt as you have no obligation to pay it.
As you can appreciate, again, I need to read the signed agreement and then gain from you more information on the described debts. Either way – I can help you. Feel free to call me for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x