Child Custody in Canada

Understandably, children are often the biggest concern for couples during a separation or divorce. This page will help to outline important topics regarding your children during this process.

When dealing with Child Custody in Canada our courts focus on one thing: The best interest of the children.

In some situations the decision of child custody can be amicably decided by parents at the time of separation. If this is the case, then it is important that the couple ensure their agreements are properly documented in a legally binding separation agreement.

In many cases the parents agree on joint custody. However, there are times where a parent may want sole custody of children. For example, where a parent has never been involved in a child’s life, is unable to parent, or where a parent must leave the country permanently. In these cases it may make sense for one parent to have sole custody. The many different types of custody are explained in greater detail further down this page.

If an amicable agreement is not possible then deciding who will get custody and what type it will be, gets determined by the courts. This decision is never made lightly and divorce law sets out some basic principles for a judge to follow when making this important decision.

When determining child custody in Canada a judge will consider items such as:

  • First and foremost the best interest of the children.
  • The parent-child relationship and bonding.
  • Parenting abilities of each individual.
  • Each parent’s mental, physical and emotional health.
  • The typical schedule of both parents and children.
  • Available support systems of each parent (for example, help and involvement of grandparents or other close relatives).
  • Sibling issues. Generally, brothers and sisters will be kept together, but under some circumstances it may be necessary to consider separating them.
  • Care arrangements before the separation. Who was the primary care giver?
  • The child’s wishes. The Office of the Children’s Lawyer is often appointed by the court to help in determining the child’s wishes. Once a child turns 12 years of age, his or her wishes to live with one parent or another are usually respected by the courts.

When determining child custody the past behavior of a parent will not be taken into consideration by the courts, unless their behavior reflects directly on the individual’s ability to act as a parent.

Understanding Child Custody:

Many people are confused as to what exactly child custody means as it is also frequently used to indicate a child’s “residence”.

“Custody” means decision making ability.

If you have custody of your children, then you are legally entitled to make all the important decisions regarding your children’s lives. These are decisions about education, religion, medical treatment, etc. For example, while parents may have “joint custody” (joint decision making ability) the children may actually reside primarily with one parent for most of the time and a child’s residence is determinative of who will be the Payer or Recipient, of child support.

Types of Child Custody in Canada:

  • Sole Custody – This is when one parent has custody of the children. In this case, the child always resides permanently with the parent having sole custody and the other parent may have access visits.
  • Joint Custody – This is where both parents have custody. This is also known as joint legal custody. Courts will normally only awards this type of custody to parents who are able to cooperate on parenting matters. While parents may have joint custody, the residency/access arrangements for the children may vary widely.
  • Shared Custody – This is when both parents have joint custody of the children, and both parents spend at least 40% of the time with their children. This is also known as joint physical custody.
  • Split Custody – This is when one parent has custody of some of the children, and the other parent has custody of the remaining children. Courts try to never split up up younger children from their siblings. However, older siblings often choose to live with different parents.

Deciding on Child Custody without Going to Court:

Going to trial over custody can be expensive and stressful for both you and your children. Below are some options that parents have to help them reach agreements on parenting arrangements and child custody, without having to go to court.

  • Family Mediator- A mediator is generally a person with a legal or social work background. They will have special training in helping people to resolve disputes. A mediator works with both parents to help you to discuss and decide on the best arrangements for your children.
  • Lawyers -You and your spouse can retain separate lawyers to help you understand your legal rights and obligations and negotiate an out of court parenting agreement. Another option is to participate in the Collaborative Law process. In this approach a team of Collaborative Family Lawyers which may include Divorce Coaches, Child Specialists and Financial Specialists guide you through the process.
  • Therapist – Parents can meet with family therapists, counselors, child psychologists, social workers or any other professionals, who specialize in the effects of separation and divorce on children. The parents can use the knowledge and guidance of these professionals to help them negotiate an agreement.
  • Parent-Education Sessions- In Canada many courts will host parent-education sessions. These sessions will present different options for settling issues about separation and divorce and also discuss the impact it has on children.

If at all possible it is always best to try and avoid going to court over your children. However, in some situations this is the only option. In this case a judge will hear both parents’ arguments and then make a ruling based on what they believe is in the best interest of the children.

When one parent is awarded custody of a child, the other parent is normally granted access – this is sometimes referred to as “visitation”. Lean more about Child Access and visitation in Canada.

Latest Anonymous Questions

What amount is used for the mortgage payout?1 Reply

Posted in Barrie, Location, Ontario, Property by Questions on March 2, 2015

I have lived in the Matrimonial home since separating from my ex in May 2012. I have paid all PIT on the mortgage since that time. I know my ex is entitled to the increased equity in the home but what amount is used for the Mortgage payout amount? Date of separation payout or does […]

Married for two months to a non-Canadian1 Reply

Posted in Barrie, Divorce, Location, Ontario by Questions on March 2, 2015

I have been married for two months to a non-Canadian.  He was here on a visitors visa. How do we apply for a divorce? Does he have to be in Canada? We have no assets or children, and have never lived together. Do the regular divorce rules apply or is there some sort of short […]

Does she now have a valid claim for spousal support?1 Reply

Posted in Divorce, Location, Mississauga, Ontario by Questions on March 2, 2015

I’ve had a separation agreement signed for almost a year which states that there is no spousal support to be paid with the provision to be varied in the event of any foreseeable or unforeseeable material change in circumstances. This past year, I obtained a part time job paying $15,000 annually to supplement my full […]

Copyrights © 2015, All Rights Reserved