Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Wife re-married and living abroad, can I file for divorce without her?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:


More than a year ago, my wife and I had a mutual agreement to separate and divorce (We divided our assets at that time as well). Our intentions was to legally file for divorce after 1 year of separation. Shortly after our separation (approx. 2 months), she moved out of the country and has since re-married and is living abroad with her new husband.

With my wife now living abroad and not accessible, can I file for divorce without her?

Please advise, thank you.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Andrew Heft
6 years ago

Yes you can obtain your divorce even without your ex-spouse's collaboration. The important part is that she be aware of the divorce proceedings. In other words she will need to be served with the divorce papers which should include mention that you seek to have the separation agreement ratified by the Court.

Once done it is possible for you to file the separation agreement and ask the Court to ratify it. If she does not contest this you can proceed by default. If she was properly served and does not contest the Motion she is recognized as tacitly accepting the terms set out in the divorce motion.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

DC Icon

Custody of children in Britain while father remains in Canada

I am a psychiatrist who is seeing a patient who is the father of children who reside in Britain with their mother from whom he is separated. His only contact with his children is via video conferencing twice per week. What legal option can he pursue to ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x