Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Is there any way to get financial help with a divorce?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Is there any way to get financial help with a divorce? I'm on Disability. without my husbands signature I've been separated for 17 years, I can't find him.I'm located in Newmarket Ontario.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

Depending on your financial situation, you may qualify for legal aid. You will need to contact Legal Aid to determine whether you qualify. There is also a Family Law Information Centre (FLIC) located at the Newmarket Courthouse, where you can obtain information and assistance with respect to preparing your Divorce Application.

You do not need your husband’s signature to commence the application for divorce, however you will need to serve him with your materials. If you do not know how to find your husband after using your best efforts to find him, you will need to bring a motion asking the court for an order for substituted service, or alternatively an order dispensing with service on him. You will have to provide evidence showing you have made reasonable efforts to locate your husband which have been unsuccessful, and either substituted service on another individual (ie. a family member known to have contact with him) would bring the materials to his attention, or alternatively, that no method of substituted service would be effective. I strongly recommend that you consult a lawyer to discuss your situation in greater detail.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x