Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

How do I find out if I legally divorced or not?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I am a Canadian citizen, married in the US at City Hall in New York City in 1998. Left the States and my husband in 2001, returned to BC, haven't seen my husband since 2000. Somewhere in 2003 or so, he contacted me by phone from somewhere in the States (either Florida or New York if memory serves) to serve me divorce papers (reason: abandonment). I agreed with his decision; I wanted a divorce also, so I gave him my address in BC to send the papers to.I never received those divorce papers, perhaps because I moved frequently. I never heard from him again and do not have his contact info. How do I find out if I legally divorced or not?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
5 years ago

It is unlikely that a Divorce order was granted if your were never personally served with any Divorce proceedings. It is possible that your spouse applied for an obtained a substitution service order which if granted would have allowed the Divorce to be granted after Divorce papers were served on a relative of yours or were published in a newspaper. You will need to locate and communicate with your ex to find out whether the Divorce order was ever granted. You would need to locate him in order for you to proceed with a Divorce in BC in any event as you would have to arrange personal service on him to obtain a Divorce here (or similarly apply for and obtain a substitutional service order to effect alternate service).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x