Embaucher un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Dividing family residence

Anonymous Asked:

My wife is divorcing me and we need to divide the family residence. I would like to get the bank to assess the house and buy off her share. Can she refuse that offer and insist for the house to be put on the market and sold? If so, would she be 100% responsible for the real estate broker commissions/ my moving expenses?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Andrew Heft
8 years ago

As co-owners of the house there are only three possible scenarios. Either you buy her out, she buys you out or the house is sold on the market.

In order for you or her to buy out the other you both need to agree on a sale price. If there is no agreement then those two options are not available and the house must be sold.

Technically you could not claim moving or other fees related to your relocation in such circumstances.

This is a simplification and I would recommend you consult a lawyer for help with negotiating any claims you could have and looking at more practical solutions to resolving this particular situation.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

What can you buy while you filling for a divorce

What can you invest on or buy while you are going through divorce

DC Icon

Preparing for Court: What to Expect in a Contested Divorce Trial in Ontario

Divorce is a life-altering event that can be emotionally draining and legally complex. When a divorce becomes contested, both spouses cannot agree on some or all of the key issues. This can lead to more significant challenges, as the court has to step ...

DC Icon

Do Divorce Lawyers Work on Weekends? Get Expert Advice When You Need It

If you've been wondering, "Do divorce lawyers work on weekends?" you most likely are experiencing the common truth that navigating the complexities of divorce can be challenging, and finding the right time to discuss your concerns with a divorce lawyer ...

DC Icon

How to Not Pay Spousal Support in Canada

Introduction Divorce can be a challenging and emotionally draining process, and one of the most contentious issues is often the payment of spousal support. Many individuals going through a divorce wonder, "how to not pay spousal support in Canada?" Whi ...

DC Icon

Divorce Lawyer for Business Owners: Protecting Your Business and Assets

Divorce is a difficult and emotional process for anyone, but it can be particularly challenging for business owners. The division of assets and determination of spousal support can have a significant impact on the future of a business. That's why it's ...

DC Icon

Divorce Lawyer For High Net-Worth Individuals

High Net Worth Divorces: Navigating the Complexities and Protecting Your Assets Divorce is never an easy process, but when it comes to a high net worth separation and divorce, the stakes are even higher. Unlike the average divorce, high net worth divor ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x