Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

My civil status and my last name

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Me and my husband separated for almost 4 years. I am here in Canada while he is in our native country. I left him because of he is a gambler,irresponsible,and I found out that he already sleeping in his girlfriend's house and now he has a child and they are living together.That is after a few months that we are separated. I want to get a divorce so I can use my name. I don't want him to get anything from me because I am still married to him and I am still using his
last name. I am also applying for citizenship but I want to use my midden name not my married name. Do I have to change my passport too? Please give me some advice. Thank you.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

You do not need to divorce to use your maiden name. All you need is to evidence that the name you want to use is actually your name. So, if you have the original marriage certificate with your maiden name you would use that. Contact the Office of Register General in Thunder Bay. If you explain the situation they will forward you the necessary paperwork and applications you need. Once you have changed your name, then you would proceed to obtain new identification, including, your passport. In the meantime, there is nothing prohibiting a change to the name you informally use.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x