Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

What has to be divided? Jewelry, presents...???

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I'm wondering if my husband received a settlement while we were only dating and that money was put into a joint account, was used to purchase an engagement ring, pay for a wedding, honeymoon, cars, etc and seven years later after 5 years of marriage he just left me, how is the money in the accounts divided? Would he be entitled to receive the whole amount? The money in the accounts don't even add up to half of what he received, and he never treated it as his money, he always let me have access to it. Also jewelry he gave me as birthday presents, and the engagement ring, are those mine or do they have to be divided?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
5 years ago

Although the Family Law Act of B.C. does provide for the exclusion of pre-relationship savings & investments from the presumption of an equal division, the case law so far makes it clear that it is only where those pre–relationship funds can be directly traced into the equity of an asset that exists at the date of separation. In your case it would be highly unlikely that your husband would succeed on gaining any recognition of money that was spent in the manner you describe. Gifts (such as the engagement ring and birthday or Christmas presents etc), are not subject to division – they are presumed to be the excluded property of the recipient of those gifts.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x