Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Can I ask for money that I've paid towards a car?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I had recently split from my girlfriend of 4 years. We lived together for just over 3 years. She was in school for most of the relationship and only working part time. I make fairly good money and I had paid for everything. We bought 2 brand new cars and I paid for them both plus insurance, mortgage, and all the bills. Can I ask for money that I've paid towards a car that she took off with? If I took legal actions to get it would I be screwing myself in the long run? Having to pay her because I make more money?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

There is always a risk she could claim spousal support. ​For the purposes of determining spousal support, section 29 of the Family Law Act defines a “spouse” as either of two persons who have cohabited continuously for a period of not less than three years. It appears that you meet this definition​; however​, ​spousal support is not automatic and your ex-girlfriend would need to establish an entitlement to support. Further, the quantum and duration of support payable, if any, would take into account the short length of your relationship. I cannot say whether your ex will make a claim for spousal support, but she may do so regardless of whether you pursue the issue of payment for the vehicle. The issues of spousal support and the division of assets can be dealt with in a separation agreement. I strongly advise that you speak with a lawyer in greater detail about your ​situation.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x