Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Are we separated or do we have an open marriage?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Nothing much has changed. We still live in the same house, raise our kids, eat meals together and celebrate holidays and events as a family. We still run a business together. My paycheque is considered his.

Nobody at work or in our social circles know that we have marital problems, other than a handful of close friends and our kids. He still introduces me as his wife.

He is pursuing another relationship as am I and so we don't sleep together in the same room, although most of his clothes are still in my closet and he uses my bed when I'm not there. He knows about my current other relationship and I'm trying to set him up with a long-time friend.

So my question is...is it an open marriage or a separation?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Answer: There is no legally recognized concept as “an open marriage.” You are either separated or not. It does not take the mutual agreement of a married couple to be legally separated. Either party can decide that they are separated. As well, the factors of a case can lead to the conclusion that a couple is separated. It certainly sounds like you are separated, however of course I cannot provide a formal legal opinion without first speaking with you. You are welcome to call me at: 1-866-557-3222 for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x