Posted in Anonymous Q & A, Property by Questions on February 20, 2013

My common law relationship ended after almost 15 years. We purchased a second water front home. I contributed a substantial amount to the purchase from an inheritance received before meeting my ex. My ex has taken it from me – changed the locks, etc. My lawyer has done nothing about it. Am I entitled to half ? Is it costly to force a sale?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On February 20, 2013 at 12:59 pm
    Lorrie Stojni, B.A., M.A., LL.B. said:

    As you were in a common law relationship, there is no automatic division of your property as the provisions of the Family Law Act do not apply to you. However, if you own property with your former spouse, you are entitled to your share of the value of the property. Without seeing a copy of the deed verifying your ownership interest, we cannot comment on the amount of same. In order to force a sale, you would need to commence legal proceedings against your former spouse. Unfortunately without knowing more details, we cannot provide you with an estimate of your legal costs

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9