1 (877) 797-9411

Does he have any right to return to my home?

Posted in Barrie, Location, Ontario, Separation by Questions on July 14, 2014

My common partner and I ended our relationship in January 2014. He is not on the title to my home nor has he contributed financially to the home in any way since November 2013. The home was purchased with funds gifted to me alone by my parents and they are on the mortgage and the title. He is now considered homeless and demanding money and or return to my home. Does he have any right to return to my home or any financial gain. He is not listed on any utilities bills, mortgage, auto lease etc. Everything has always been in my name due to his poor credit.

1 Expert Comment

  1. On July 14, 2014 at 9:46 am
    A Family Lawyer said:

    The right to claim exclusive possession of a matrimonial home is for married spouses only. He would have no right of possession to the home, post-separation. Unless he made contributions to the maintenance, acquisition, improvement, of the property during the relationship, then it is strongly advisable to not negotiate with him notwithstanding his demands and if necessary consult with a family law lawyer of your chosing to put in place the appropriate communication channels.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved