Separation and income tax

Posted in Location, Regina, Saskatchewan, Separation by Questions on April 8, 2013

I have not lived with my husband for over a year but have no agreement and no financial support. Can I say I am separated on my income tax? My husband is from another country and our marriage was never legalized in ca.

1 Expert Comment

  1. On April 9, 2013 at 8:13 am
    Lorrie Stojni, B.A., M.A., LL.B. said:

    You should consult with a lawyer in your jurisdiction. If there is an understanding between you and your former spouse that you are living separate and a part, then you are “separated”. No formal written agreement is required. You should also consult with an accountant regarding the appropriate designation for your marital status for income tax purposes.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9