Separation and PR status

Posted in Location, Ontario, Scarborough, Separation by Questions on January 21, 2016

A woman came to Canada as a married spouse of a Canadian citizen with the 2-year immigration condition of living together. They live together at the same address, but he is disloyal to her. Ever since she is here, they have no conjugal relation relation as husband and wife. He is having sex with another woman. He has never made love (sex) ever since they married. Can she separate from him without affecting her immigration rule of PR condition?
Thank you

1 Expert Comment

  1. On January 23, 2016 at 2:44 pm
    Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D. said:

    I strongly recommend that she speak with an immigration lawyer. If she does not yet have PR status, and obtaining that status is conditional upon her residing with her husband, a separation would likely affect this, however, as I do not practice in the area of immigration law I cannot offer advice on this issue. I again urge that she consult a lawyer with experience in immigration law.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9