property division

Posted in Cambridge, Location, Ontario, Separation by Questions on May 14, 2014

Moved in 5 1/2 years ago. Contributed a substantial amount of money towards paying off the mortgage & had my name put on house approximately 6 months later. Also have a time share we acquired together. Have kept books for his side business without remuneration for 7 years. A pension is also involved. What might I be entitled too in this common law relationship?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On May 14, 2014 at 9:25 am
    A Family Lawyer said:

    If you as a common law spouse financially contributed to the family residence, acquisition of property, growth or maintenance of the business, it may be possible that you have a claim to those assets. Although you are not married, there is now a concept called “joint family venture” that allows a common law spouse to claim an interest in property accumulated during the relationship. You would need to consult with a lawyer of your choosing to further discuss your rights in more specific detail. You would first need to ensure that proper and complete financial disclosure is completed including valuations of the family residence, business and pension. Once you have completed the financial disclosure process then you may be able to engage in discussions to resolve the issues.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9