1 (877) 797-9411

Playing both sides

Posted in Hamilton, Location, Ontario, Separation by Questions on February 21, 2014

I have been married for 15 years and have one son. Several years ago my husband had an affair with a coworker and has since been living with her. Visitation for my son occurs regularly but at our home. An overnight/ weekend visit has not been requested. This other woman has only had interactions with our son on two occasions. I have not filed a separation agreement. My husband supports us financially as if he still lives with us. What should I do to best protect myself legally/financially?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On February 24, 2014 at 10:23 am
    Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D. said:

    You should consult with a lawyer to negotiate a separation agreement or go to court and get proper order/agreement in place regarding support, custody etc. If you do not have a support agreement or order in place, your husband could simply stop paying you and you would not have recourse (in terms of enforcing support). If you get a support order or sign a separation agreement, then you can have it enforced through the Family Responsiblity office.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved