leaving the country with a child non Canadian

Posted in British Columbia, Location, Separation, Vancouver by Questions on April 22, 2013

I moved to Canada with my husband 7 months ago. We have considered separation. If we do separate, I have no rights to live in Canada, and will return to the US. He has threatened to forbid me from leaving with our child.

What are my rights to leave? with my child?

Also, would this be different if I did have the right to live in Canada separate from my husband. That is, if I was issued a Visa/work permit based on my own status and was legally allowed to live here in a separate domicile. Could he forbid me from leaving and returning to the US should we separate?


1 Expert Comment

  1. On April 23, 2013 at 8:09 am
    Lorrie Stojni, B.A., M.A., LL.B. said:

    The question you are asking deals with custody and mobility rights. The issue of mobility is complicated and is fact driven. I suggest you contact a lawyer in your area for advice specific to your case.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9