1 (877) 797-9411

Future tax claims

Posted in Location, Ontario, Separation, Toronto Downtown Core by Questions on December 11, 2013

Hi there, my husband and I separated for almost a year now. We lived together for the kids but soon we will be moving separate ways. We don’t have any assets together and I’m not asking for child support. We have agreed once he is back on his feet he can help out. How to we file taxes now? Do we have to file for a separation to prove that we are? We didn’t due to financial reasons.

1 Expert Comment

  1. On December 16, 2013 at 11:49 am
    A Family Lawyer said:

    You would indicate on your 2013 tax return that as at December 31 2013 you were separated. You would not claim the spousal credit. To notify the CRA that you separated you can file a Marital Status Change form, which should be available online. For family law purposes, you do not have to file anything to prove separation. Separation is a matter of fact and an agreement or filing is not required to prove separation. I cannot advise on tax implications, and you may wish to consult an accountant.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved