1 (877) 797-9411

Common Law

Posted in Location, Mississauga, Ontario, Separation by Questions on May 18, 2014

I’ve been in a Common Law relationship in the past 3 years. This relationship has dissolved and we both have separate lives. But, we both still live under the same address, as he refuses to move out. We have a child together. I can’t file my income tax as separated with the same address… pls advise how to proceed.

1 Expert Comment

  1. On May 20, 2014 at 8:48 am
    Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M. said:

    Answer: The answer to your question depends on who owns the home. If it is jointly owned then there either has to be a “buy out” or the home must be sold. If necessary, we can seek a Judge’s Order for the sale of the home, under the Partition Act. If the home is only in the name of one of you, then it becomes more complicated, and we would need the exact facts to comment further. However, either way, we can solve the problem.

    (The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved