Province to file in

Posted in Anonymous Q & A, Divorce by Questions on February 27, 2013

Hi there. Neither party resides in the province in which the separation occurred. Is it best to file the separation agreement and divorce in the province of last known common address or in the province that one now resides?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On February 27, 2013 at 7:50 am
    Lorrie Stojni, B.A., M.A., LL.B. said:

    You can enter into a Separation Agreement in any province, however you and the other party must agree on the laws of which province you are going to accept. The provincial legislation varies from province to province.
    So it depends on which “rules” you want to accept.

    Regarding divorce, you must be resident in a jurisdiction for at least one year prior to commencing an application for divorce.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9