Posted in Location, Ontario, Property, Toronto Downtown Core by Questions on March 17, 2014

If I live at separate address from my husband am i still entitled to half of the property sale after being sold. I still pay half the mortg. Is he still entitle half of everything of mine?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On March 17, 2014 at 11:58 am
    Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D. said:

    Were you formally married? How long have you been separated? If you were married, there is something called an equalization of net family property which means you are entitled to share 50% in the increase in all assets during marriage. With the home, you would be entitled to a share especially since you have continued to contribute. There is a statute of limitations in terms of claiming property division, which is 6 years from date of separation or 2 years from divorce, whichever is earlier. You should see a lawyer as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9