1 (877) 797-9411

Is he required to pay for half of the mortgage and property tax ?

Posted in Location, Mississauga, Ontario, Property by Questions on July 22, 2014

Hi, My ex and I have been separated for almost a year. We have 2 children. The children live with me in the home. I am paying the mortgage, and property taxes. He pays the house insurance. Is he required to pay for half of these mortgage and property tax?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On July 23, 2014 at 10:12 am
    Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M. said:

    Answer: I need to know if he is working and, if so, what he earns. I also need some further information from you. Thus, for now, I can only provide the following general comments. So, generally speaking, he is required to pay you at least one half of the carrying costs of the home, and very likely more as if he is working (and depending on the facts even if he is not working) he is required to pay you child support pursuant to the Child Support Guidelines. He may also be required to pay you spousal support. Thus, he may be obligated to pay you more on an ongoing basis, and he may owe you arrears as well. Such arrears can, generally speaking, only go back three years. Thus, it is important to deal with this now. Feel free to call me at (905) 451-3222 for a free consultation.

    (The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved