Common law controlled one sided

Posted in Alberta, Edmonton, Location, Property by Questions on May 3, 2013

I have been in a common law rlationship for 5 1/2 years . Most of th time he is out of town and I work in town and look after the home and pets and yard work. Most of the time I pay the bills and buy groceries ( the home is in his name only ) and refuses to add my name because of a custody battle im going through right now. But we also have property in BC that I solely pay for and the taxes. I have furnished alot in this home and spent alot relandscaping the yard. Can he legally kick me out with just my clothes on my back and make me sell my property in BC and take half of that also ? Like I said I do everything around here and when he is here I still have to cook and clean. I have paid for repairs on the boat and I have been paying for stoage for it for 4 years with no help from me . I make good money not as much as he does but I am here 100 % and he is here about 35 % of the time . Do I have legal rights to this home also ? I am so lost right now and would like to know what I should do or can do .

1 Expert Comment

  1. On May 6, 2013 at 8:12 am
    Lorrie Stojni, B.A., M.A., LL.B. said:

    I encourage you to consult with a lawyer in your home province as the law related to common law property division can vary according to province.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9