Married in a Different Country

Posted in Anonymous Q & A, Divorce by Questions on February 6, 2013

My ex wife and I were married in Mexico. We performed all the required documentation and blood work in Mexico. We never certified the marriage in Canada by obtain a Canadian marriage certificate. Can we file for divorce with our Mexican marriage certificate (as well as a notarized translation). My ex lives in Ontario and I live in Manitoba.

1 Expert Comment

  1. On February 21, 2013 at 3:33 pm
    Lorrie Stojni, B.A., M.A., LL.B. said:

    You can file for divorce in Canada provided you have a certified translation into English of the Mexican Marriage Certificate. There is a residency requirement for obtaining a divorce in Canada, you must be resident in the jurisdiction where you are seeking the divorce for at least one year prior to seeking a divorce.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9